Public Works is made up three departments as listed below.
- Street Department
- Sanitation Department
- Recycling/Landfill Department
The Street Department maintains the City streets and also maintains the City's stormwater drainage system. Through its various departments, it also provides the following environmental services to the citizens who live within the city limits of Andalusia.
- Garbage Pickup
- Recycling Bag Pickup
- Trash Pickup
- Mosquito Spraying (is done in warmer months usually beginning in May and ending in September of each year)
Customers residing in a City of Andalusia garbage pickup route are charged per month:
- $20.00 for each wheeled container/Hobo.
Charges for all business establishments as defined in section 14-110 of the Andalusia City code is as follows:
- For all establishments which require one (1) pickup per week - $67.00 Monthly Fee
- For all establishments which require two (2) pickup per week - $132.00 Monthly Fee
- For all establishments which require three (3) pickup per week - $199.00 Monthly Fee
- For all establishments which require four (4) pickup per week - $264.00 Monthly Fee
- For all establishments which require five (5) pickup per week - $329.00 Monthly Fee
Note: Exceptions to this section shall be granted upon request and in accordance with Code of Alabama 1975, section 22-27-3.
Trash pickup is furnished to citizens of the City of Andalusia under the guidelines and fees listed below.
Trash Pickup Guidelines and Fees:
- One pickup per week of no more than one truckload will be picked up at no charge. This free pickup does not include construction debris or building materials.
- If you have a second truckload, there will be a $91.00 charge for each full load and a $45.00 charge for a half load.
- If you call for a special pickup, there will be a $91.00 charge per load.
The City offers a free recycling program to its citizens and makes participation extremely easy. Residents are initially furnished two green bags. All acceptable materials can be commingled in the same bag. No sorting is required. Cans, plastic bottles, and jugs should be rinsed.
If you would like a green bag delivered to your home, please contact us.
All recycling bags need to be placed out for pickup by 6:00 AM on garbage pickup day or the night before.
Recyclable Items Accepted:
- Postal Mailings
- Aluminum Cans
- Steele Cans
- Plastic Bottles
Items NOT Accepted:
- Plastic bags (ex. Walmart, grocery bags)
- Paper towels
- Needles (syringes)
County residents are invited to participate in this program and can bring recyclable items to the recycling facility.
The City of Andalusia has a landfill which is also open to the public (city, county, etc.) Its primary use is for the disposal of construction or demolished materials.
Typical landfill wastes accepted:
- Household furnishings and appliances
- Construction and demolition debris
- Tree limbs and stumps
- Yard waste
- Glass, plastic, and similar non-putrescible materials and rubbish.
Items NOT accepted:
- Household garbage
- Electronics (ex. Televisions, computers)
- Treated Lumber
- Light bulbs
- Paint Cans
- Vegetables, fruits
- Pumpkins, watermelons
The above items that are not accepted should be placed with regular household garbage.
Residents homeowners of Andalusia can dispose of household items such as furniture, appliances, carpet and yard debris with charge providing they present evidence of residency.
Other disposal is charged at $20.00 minimum per 1,000 lbs with a $40.00 minimum fee per ton.